What’s Happening this Week?
We have two dominant themes unfolding at the moment and both are exact midweek, starting with the Sun – Mercury conjunction that falls square Neptune –
Wednesday 6 June
- Sun conjunct Mercury 15 Gemini 03.03 BST
- Mercury 16 Gemini square Neptune 16 Pisces 15.09 BST
Thursday 7 June
- Sun 16 Gemini square Neptune 16 Pisces 07.00 BST
It itself the Sun – Mercury alliance is positive, especially as Mercury is in one of his own signs of dignity. As the winged messenger of the gods Mercury’s job is to bring us news and views, to open up channels of communication and create an environment of discussion and debate. From Be Your Own Astrologer –
Mercury and the air sign of Gemini between them rule everything to do with communication and the function of the mind. The talk-talk planet in the sign of the Twins is therefore the perfect double act. This Mercury loves nothing better than to talk and speech is quick, animated, amusing and often excitable. Here we find the hyperactive nature, or the ultimate butterfly mind, effortlessly hopping from subject to subject, or the socially skilled person who can talk to anyone about anything. Skill with language can also show in being bilingual, like Heidi Klum whose Mercury is one of five personal planets in this sign, or even multilingual. Sometimes there is a fickleness but this is often in response to being controlled. This Mercury thrives on diversity and, like air itself, needs to circulate.
Talent with the written word is also a feature and this placing is extremely common in the horoscopes of novelists, journalists or prolific songwriters, such as Paul McCartney and Billy Joel. The most famous diary in the world was written by Anne Frank, with the Sun and Mercury conjunct (strengthened by sitting next to each other) in Gemini. Ian Fleming is also a Sun Gemini, along with Mercury conjunct Pluto, planet of mystery and the underworld, and found fame through his creation of secret agent 007 James Bond.
So Mercury is super creative with the written and spoken word. The fly in the ointment is the square (inharmonious) to Neptune. In essence this creates an out of focus picture, fuzzy around the edges with no clear cut answers. So here’s a list of “don’ts” to help you sail through this turbulent patch –
- Emotions will be running high and an already touchy subject is likely to be super sensitive – don’t try to “talk sense” into anyone
- Neptune rules alcohol and all altered states of consciousness. Don’t try to have a serious conversation with anyone who’s been drinking
- Don’t drink and dial! And try not to drown your sorrows if you’re upset – get plenty of quality sleep instead, this is your top remedy for coping and feeling better
- Words conceal as well as reveal – don’t believe everything you hear
- Don’t act on assumptions – check your facts
- Don’t twist someone else’s words to fit your own interpretation or beliefs – or allow anyone to do the same to you
- Don’t put too much energy in trying to get others to understand you or see your point of view – know your own truth and let that suffice (one client told me that she knew she could leave a controlling ex on the day when she gave up and genuinely felt “think what you like”)
- Don’t fall for sob stories – spot the difference between victim behavior/scripts and genuine need, including your own!
- Don’t collapse your personal boundaries – such as rushing to the rescue too quickly or placing trust in someone you don’t yet know that well
- Imaginative plans are great, but don’t ignore the reality factor
- Don’t issue ultimatums – there’s a lot of uncertainty in the air and your chances of getting straight answers to straight questions is either low, or you’ll hear what you didn’t want to hear
In other words, operate as if Mercury is retrograde – and suffering from chronic PMT. Also remember that at this Gemini time of year – the sign of mutable air – it’s a time to circulate and to let others do the same. Keep an open mind and an open heart.
This rather touchy picture applies especially to love issues as it’s underlined by the other major aspect of the week which is the Venus – Pluto opposition, exact just 21 minutes after the Sun – Mercury conjunction.
Wednesday 6 June
- Venus 20 Cancer opposite Pluto 20 Capricorn 03.24 BST
This is especially potent as it’s involved in a lineup called an Aspect Pattern, which happens when three or more planets in different signs align to make distinct formations. At the moment we have a Kite that started to take shape in the middle of last week and which I described in last week’s blog.
To refresh your memory Venus, the love planet now travelling quickly through Cancer, is the key player as she’s creating a Grand Trine (an equilateral triangle) with two major planets in the other two water signs, Jupiter (in Scorpio) – Neptune (in Pisces). The element of Water relates to our emotional needs and concerns, and the planets and signs in this formation speak of powerful feelings, and love opportunities of the highly romantic or even redemptive kind.
When any planet in a Grand Trine is making an opposition to a fourth planet (in this case Venus to Pluto) we get a Kite formation. The fourth planet becomes the “handle” to the Kite. Pluto is the co-ruler of Scorpio, adding even more intensity to the picture and especially sensitizing triangular situations, such as affairs. For some this may even be a make or break week as Pluto is rich in symbolic death and rebirth imagery – ie out with the old and in with the new. Even though Venus moved into position last week it’s only now, as she lines up opposite to the handle of the Kite, that the real messages or implications will make themselves felt. It’s powerful stuff and new relationships or new projects starting at this time are likely to be the real deal, even though they may start off with some teething problems. But if you’re ready to make emotional or work commitments, feel the fear and do it anyway – and fly that kite!
Until next week
With love from Greece