The Astrology Blog 20 August 2018
All times given are stated in BST
Mercury Stationary Direct
As I write (yesterday) I’m enjoying the moment of knowing that Mercury has made the turn from retrograde to direct motion –
Sunday 19 August
- Mercury turns direct 11 Leo 05.26
We now have to let Mercury pick up speed again and some astrologers make a big deal about Mercury coming “out of shadow”, which means waiting until he reaches the degree at which he first turned retrograde, in this case 23 Leo (on 26 July). Mercury will get back to 23 Leo on 2 September, so that’s a date to bear in mind, especially if you have planets or angles at or close to that point, and also because it’s just a few days after Mars turns direct too.
Nevertheless, I think the actual turning point is more important. Mercury is now officially back on track and here’s a reminder of my checklist of the kinds of things to expect, now and in the coming couple of weeks:
- Breaking news, expected or unexpected, good or bad, that affects us or someone close to us
- Important information comes to light or secrets are revealed – we have the chance to see things as they really are
- Light bulb flashes of “I get it now” type insights – including changing our minds about something that we had previously really wanted
- We stop talking/thinking about something and realize that we need TO DO IT (at least plan to do it when Mars turns direct!) or make decisions to pave the way
- People get back to us re decisions and deals get done
- We get back in touch with someone, or they get back in touch with us
- We feel more courageous or determined to pursue our true wishes
- We stop pretending or avoiding
- We replace fantasy with fact and find better or more workable options
- We tackle/say the things we’ve been putting off
- We get back to a matter that was first important three weeks ago
- We’re free to travel or do our own thing
- Memory kicks in and we deal with what or who has been off our radar
- Disputes or areas of miscommunication are cleared up
- We find the right person to deal with the problem beyond our own expertise
- Computer glitches/communication technology are solved/sorted
- Rumours are squashed when the truth outs
- We find what we have been looking for – from lost objects to spiritual needs
I put mostly a positive spin on Mercury turning direct as this checklist has been compiled from long experience of watching how things unfold at these times, in my own life and that of my friends, family, students, clients and also out in the world. This doesn’t mean that suddenly everything starts turning out wonderfully well, it’s not a magic wand, but often it’s the end of a tunnel.
Today’s breaking news on the BBC is Greece emerging from the bailout and heralding the end of massively unpopular and tough austerity measures. Note that Mercury has turned direct opposite the retrograde Jupiter in Aquarius (the collective) in Greece’s horoscope –
Last word on stationing Mercury is that I’ve also noticed many times that there is often a final twist in the tale just as we reach that turning point … just as you thought you were out of the woods there’s a reminder, a dig in the ribs, a rug-pulling moment that puts a different slant on a situation or your immediate future. If this has happened to you then the chances are it will be something that needs your urgent attention and probably something that only you can do.
Mars still on a Go-Slow
I’ve noticed this weekend that breaking news is a definite theme but it’s a real mixed bag, progress for some and sadness for others. Just a reminder, as I said last week, that along the way Mars is still retrograde, now back in the end degrees of Capricorn (Mars sign of exaltation, where he operates best) and won’t turn direct until next Monday. To recap, here’s the sequence of Mars’ activity which covers the period from mid May to mid Sept –
- 16 May – Mars ingress Aquarius
- 26 June – Mars turned retrograde 9 Aquarius conjunct Moon’s South Node 22.06 BST
- Monday 13 August – Mars Retrograde ingress Capricorn 03.15
- Mars will turn direct at 28 degrees Capricorn next Monday 27 August
- Mars ingress Aquarius for the second time 11 September (five days after Saturn turns direct)
So, Mars is now “stationing” – ie positioned only half a degree away from the position at which he’ll turn direct – so he’s super slow. Some issues will remain stuck for a while longer. Usually when Mercury turns it’s a great time to start putting energy into the things that matter most to you, and I’m not saying that we shouldn’t do that, but we have to expect some opposition, resistance or logistical headaches, especially with regard to a feet dragging situation or a person in a huge rut. You might feel as if nothing but a blast of dynamite is going to get things moving again – and you might be right! But I wouldn’t light the blue touch paper just yet. There’s more to come and the picture towards the end of this week suggests that some ground breaking stuff is already rumbling. Read on!
What else is Happening this Week?
Firstly, Venus is currently travelling through her own sign of Libra but makes an awkward alliance with Neptune midweek, and then squares up to all or nothing Pluto at the close of the weekend. This is like the emotional fallout of all the difficult stuff of the last few weeks, including retrograde Mercury and Eclipses, and wherever you’ve experienced loss or disillusionment then these Venus aspects will be about processing. If you’ve still been clinging onto something or someone that is just a bad habit then this picture signals some poignant or soul searching questions –
Wednesday 22 August
- Venus 15 Libra quinqunx Neptune 15 Pisces 22.11
Sunday 26 August
- Venus 19 Libra square Pluto 19 Capricorn 20.19
The quinqunx happens when two planets are exactly 5 signs apart and is a notorious blind spot. Neptune by tough aspect also often signals deception, confusion, disappointment, the blues or, at worst, grief. At a practical level Neptune in difficulty warns of water problems – everything from plumbing to floods – and sleep problems. This aspect also comes with an alcohol warning – try not to drown your sorrows and if you’re partying, do it responsibly.
Pluto rules endings. He likes to strip everything back to basics and make us start afresh. Thus he’s the planet of symbolic death and rebirth. In square (hard aspect) to the love planet Venus indicates that for some either a relationship is better ended or it will have to be reinvented.
These tough aspects also fall either side of the Full Moon –
Sunday 26 August
- Full Moon 3 Pisces 12.57
There’s nothing like a Full Moon for bringing all the emotions out into the open and when it falls in watery and super sensitive Pisces, and in the wake of the Venus – Neptune mismatch, then it’s like opening the floodgates. Emotional tides will be high and may even be overwhelming but at least we get the chance to get into all those feelings that have been bottled up for the last few weeks, or longer. Express yourself!
The best bit about the Piscean Full Moon, apart from getting dreamy and romantic, is heightened sensitivity that can be used in all sorts of ways. If you need ideas or inspiration then this is the time to let your imagination go soaring. Everything starts with a vision. The opposite sign of meticulous Virgo symbolizes the nitty-gritty earthy details and work ethic that we need to materialize the dream, whatever that might be.
On the way to the Full Moon the Sun moves into Virgo and then aligns with Saturn and Uranus both in the other earth signs. This creates an Aspect Pattern called a Grand Trine – if you “join the dots” of the three planets you would find an equilateral triangle as they are all four signs or 120 degrees apart.
Thursday 23 August
- Sun ingress Virgo
Saturday 25 August
- Sun 2 Virgo trine Saturn 2 Capricorn 17.39
- Sun 2 Virgo trine Uranus 2 Taurus 23.09
Saturn and Uranus don’t make an exact trine, they’re about a quarter of a degree apart, but it’s close enough! The last time these two giants did make the exact trine was in fire signs in December 2016 at 20 Sagittarius/Aries and again in November 2017 25 Sagittarius/Aries. Both of these dates were huge for me, the first one in terms of facing the inevitable and devastating loss of my twin sister, but the second one was finding the new house, transforming it and moving in all in the space of less than three weeks. It was a time of enormous upheaval and physical hard work but I knew immediately that it would be well worth it, that I’d found exactly what I wanted and needed. I can hardly believe that I’ve lived in this house for less than a year as it feels as if it’s always been my home.
This time around the Trine is in earth signs so practical issues may be of even greater significance but, even so, the inclusion of Uranus in this pattern is the indicator for things happening suddenly, unexpectedly or in a way that you couldn’t possibly have seen coming. As I often say, Uranus is the unpredictable planet, the rebel in our midst, and events unfolding over the weekend are likely to foreshadow Mars’ turning point. If you’ve been complaining that nothing ever happens you could well be singing a different tune by this time next week!
Until then, with love from Greece