What’s Happening this Week?
The week starts on a swell of exuberance as the Benefics come together by square –
Monday 25 June
- Venus 13 Leo square Jupiter 13 Scorpio 18.20 BST
The most pertinent message here is to be aware of excess or over the top situations. Venus’ main concerns are love and money. So for example, things to enjoy get a big tick, but don’t commit long term to anything too expensive, and don’t get carried away with any desire, personal or romantic. Not that you’ll be allowed to. Without wishing to be a killjoy the rest of the week has the feel of a restraining order.
This is down to two separate factors and the first one, which is the big news on the astrological grapevine at the moment, is Mars turning retrograde –
Tuesday 26 June
- Mars turns retrograde 9 Aquarius conjunct Moon’s South Node 22.06 BST
“Retrograde” happens when a planet appears to be moving backwards across the skies. It signifies that a planet’s positive qualities are being reversed, withheld or delayed in some way. When the faster moving personal planets (Mercury, Venus and Mars) go through their retrograde periods they usually signify a theme of slowing down and having to rethink life.
The Moon’s South Node is associated with bad karma or the things you need to move away from. In particular look at any repeating pattern that never works for you!
We are used to Mercury’s antics as he turns retrograde three times a year for three weeks at a time (next one is end of July). However, Mars carries a lot more clout as he turns retrograde approximately every 25 months for periods of around 65-80 days at a time. So it’s a far less frequent event and lasts a lot longer.
The last three Retrograde Mars cycles:
- 2 March 2014 Mars turned retrograde 27 Libra – 20 May 2014 Mars turned direct 9 Libra
- 17 April 2016 Mars turned retrograde 9 Sagittarius – 29 June 2016 Mars turned direct 23 Scorpio
- 25 June 2018 Mars turning retrograde 9 Aquarius – 27 August 2018 Mars will turn direct 28 Capricorn
Retrograde Mars in Aquarius – themes to look out for:
- Ethical issues (Aquarius) and needs of the collective at the root of changes
- Humanitarian policies needing review – Donald Trump!
- Back off or back down in areas of conflict
- Being stopped in your tracks
- You or someone else putting the brakes on a situation, delaying tactics
- Repression or loss of energy, desire, anger or personal will – including for the good of someone else
- Getting back to root causes
- A lover cooling off/becoming distant
- Struggles between lust v friendship
- Difficulty or frustration with matters requiring motivation or initiative of any kind
- Difficulty or frustration with regards to action from someone else who is absent, uncertain or just not playing ball
- Ill-advised action or intervention that may later be regretted – don’t try to force anything
- An unraveling of threads that you had thought were tightly woven, or events unfolding around you pointing you in a new direction
- Laying the groundwork for matters that will come to fruition in two to three months time
Some sense of pointlessness or inertia are hallmarks of retrograde Mars so don’t beat yourself up if you realize that you’re not getting to grips with your current issues. Allow yourself some breathing space and stick with the friends who know and understand you rather than rushing your fences. Take time to ponder your personal desire in any situation that’s been problematic or taking up too much energy.
The general message around slowing down and reevaluating is underlined by this week’s Full Moon –
Wednesday 27 June
- Sun 6 Cancer opposite Saturn 6 Capricorn 14.29
Thursday 28 June
- Full Moon 6 Capricorn conjunct Saturn 05.54
This is not an easy combination because a Full Moon happens when the Moon is exactly opposite the Sun – and therefore receiving all of the Sun’s light. In traditional astrology Saturn is known as the enemy of the Lights (Sun light of the day, Moon light of the night) as he is in detriment in Leo (Sun’s sign) and Cancer (Moon’s sign). In other words, Saturn being exactly conjunct this Full Moon is a killjoy, for whatever reason, but health matters and responsibilities are the most likely to be high up on the list. For example look out for changes of plan because of someone not being well or having to put family matters first.
On a more positive note – I do TRY to be positive about Saturn but it’s not easy being a full blooded Jupiterian – Saturn is strong in his own sign. I personally have never experienced positive events under Saturn transits, quite the opposite, but I have Saturnian clients and friends who experience the most constructive and productive times of their lives when Saturn is in the picture. So if you’re reworking any kind of career move or concerned with building longer term security in your life, this week may well be packed with clues and pointers. Hard work and reality checks will go a long way towards helping you achieve your goals or recognize your true ambitions. As ever, with any Full Moon, look out for themes of illumination, things coming to light or coming full circle.
Things spark up again at the end of the week when Mercury changes sign and squares up to Uranus:
Friday 29 June
- Mercury ingress Leo 06.17 BST
Saturday 30 June
- Mercury 2 Leo square Uranus 2 Taurus 14.02
There may well be events that link in to Mars turning retrograde – in Aquarius, which is Uranus’ sign. Uranus is unpredictable, he’s the wild card and the loose cannon, and in conflict with Mercury the communication planet it’s the stuff of arguments and deal breaking, it’s unexpected information or changes of heart or mind that you couldn’t have seen coming. To quote the old saying, keep your head while everyone around you is losing theirs, and you’ll see how best to deal with life’s dramas.
Finally note that Mercury is going to turn retrograde at the end of next month so will start slowing down mid July, will turn direct mid August, and will end up being in Leo from now right through to the beginning of September. Mercury in this fire sign is therefore going to be a major backdrop throughout the summer and here’s my “take” on this combination from Be Your Own Astrologer.
Until next week, love from Greece
Mercury in Leo
Mercury in the Sun’s sign is bold, bright and self assured. Speech is firm, clear and sometimes loud. These people have got something to say, they are hard to miss, and the bigger the audience the better. Here we find extrovert and highly expressive performers, like Mick Jagger, Robin Williams and Jennifer Lopez. Yes, they are show offs, but the world needs show offs, either for their entertainment skills or for their ability to put across a message that is aimed at the collective but which strikes at the heart of every individual. This is the archetype of the speech maker, those who command respectful attention and make public speaking an art form, like Barack Obama and Nelson Mandela. Even when the inner nature is humble they know how to capture a crowd. These people have big ideas and want others to feel their passion. Look at Richard Branson.
What’s the downside? Leo’s link to royalty and self importance signals that this Mercury can be pompous, brilliant at making statements and announcements, but not always so skilled at the heart to heart stuff of personal relationships. They have to learn that it’s not a partner’s job to take up the role of audience. Pride or fear of ridicule can also make it hard for them to climb down and admit to being wrong. They secretly, or not so secretly, crave praise and validation. Being appreciated brings out the best in this Mercury sign and when they love you their adoration knows no bounds.
In a nutshell: charismatic, demanding, persuasive.