Unlock the Secrets of Medieval Astrology with Chris Mitchell
This is a new course for the Greek island Summer School.
Chris’s area of expertise is the history of astrology and he’s a tutor on the Cultural Astronomy and Astrology MA course at the University of Wales, so this is a wonderful opportunity for new or returning students.
As modern astrologers, we’re used to drawing up charts in seconds on a computer, and using numerous techniques, outer planet transits and a psychological language to work with our clients. Ours is a rich and subtle art.
- How, then, did medieval astrologers manage with just seven planets and five aspects?
- Was theirs simply a limited cut-down version of what we have available to us in modern astrology?
- How did a society rife with political intrigue and power struggles, and the Black Death, do meaningful astrology without Pluto?
In this course, we’ll discover some of the richness of medieval astrology.
Despite the lack of outer planets and modern techniques, medieval astrologers had a surprisingly large toolkit of methods lost to modern astrology.
The recent resurgence of modern translations of ancient texts mean these fascinating methods have been rediscovered and can be adapted to our modern lives too.
Join us and find out how you can incorporate these rich techniques into your own studies or practice.
17 May 2023
Study days are Thursday / Friday and then Sunday / Monday
First day 11am to 3pm
Other three study days 10am to 3pm
Chris Mitchell – hosted by Joanna Watters
Prices & How To Book
Course fees include tutor fees, refreshments and taxis to and from your hotel on the four study days.
For more information and to book email firstname.lastname@example.org
Unlock the Secrets of Medieval Astrology
This medieval astrology course is suitable for all levels, and will demonstrate some of the richness of medieval astrology that you can put to use in your own charts. Here’s an outline of what we’ll be exploring – there are plenty of hands-on practical sessions in an informal and friendly setting:
- Stories of the Sky – where does our astrology come from?
- The Sky is our Canvas – find your way round the night sky, and why the zodiac is so important.
- The Medieval Theatre – meet the cast: the planets.
- Who’s in charge around here? Finding your strongest planet. Essential dignities, and a practical session.
- Friends and enemies – medieval friendship, aspects, and orbs.
- How did I end up in this situation? Accidental dignity, and a practical session.
- Working together – Reception and a practical.
- Welcome to my humble abode – medieval houses.
- Give us today our daily bread – Arabic Parts. Find your Part of Fortune.
- What’s round the corner? Medieval prediction: profections and solar returns and practicals.
- Mapping out your life: Firdaria, and a scary-sounding technique
- Putting it all together: How to do a medieval chart delineation for yourself and others.
Regular tea, coffee and water is included in the course fee. Please bring along your choice of infusion or special diet items.
Lunch break is one hour.
You can bring your own lunch or opt to choose from a local menu.
This includes a selection of salads, local cheese pies and more.
Special dietary requirements are taken into account – simply email Joanna with your preferences.
Allow 8 to 12 Euro per day
There is a 15 minute break in the morning and another in the afternoon.